If you do a lot of sitting, it can be a health hazard. This will be made worse by having a badly designed chair that doesn’t fit you well.
If you do sit a lot, you should be taking frequent breaks from sitting. If possible, get up every hour on the hour and walk around a little. Also, make sure you regularly exercise.
But you should also make sure you get a good chair that doesn’t make things even worse. Here are a few to consider.
Best Ergonomic Recliners
1. Faux Leather Electric Massage Recliner Couch Chair – Best Comfy Office Chair
Ergonomics always matter, but they matter more when you are actually working. Of course, you can use this chair in a living room for relaxation, but the look also works in an office setting. The streamlined design and separate ottoman make this the perfect means to be comfortable while working.
This executive style chair comes in your choice of brown or black easy-to-clean faux leather. Just wipe it down as needed and sop up spills quickly to avoid having it soak in.
It includes built-in heat and massage. If you suffer low back pain, these features can help make sitting not only comfortable but downright soothing.
Choose from five pre-programmed modes targeted at your upper or lower back, thighs or feet. The heat option can help keep you productive on a cold day or help ease your aches and pains.
It does not offer height adjustment, but here are some of the features that help make this chair ergonomic:
- The ottoman is separate, which makes it more readily fit your needs whatever your height.
- The chair swivels, yet has a stable base.
- There are built-in pockets for convenience.
Some potential concerns include off-gassing and poor instructions. The chair is easy to assemble, so the instructions should not be a deal-breaker for most people.
Some people say the chair has a strong smell and others refute this. If you know you have chemical sensitivities, either skip this chair or plan to mitigate the issue once you get it. Some options include letting it air out for a while before using it or wiping it down with vinegar.
Recommended for anyone looking for a very comfortable office chair with heat and massage options. Not recommended if you have extreme chemical sensitivities.
- Great executive look would work well in an office.
- Includes both heat and massage.
- Separate ottoman helps make this chair work for any height.
- If you have chemical sensitivities, the smell of the faux leather may be a deal-breaker.
- There are no cup holders.
- The directions are not the best
2. Esright Massage Recliner PU Leather Ergonomic Lounge Heated Chair – Best Ergonomic Lounger
If you really want to make relaxation a priority, this may be the chair for you. It comes in five colors (black, coffee, cream, espresso, grey) and would look great in a den.
Not only does it offer great features like heat and massage, it also rocks and swivels. The massager comes with a built-in remote and five pre-programmed massage modes.
Some features that help make it ergonomic:
- It has extra padding on the arms.
- It has a built-in headrest.
- There is continuous support for your legs when engaging the footrest.
It holds up to 300 pounds. Whether you are on the big and tall side or just want to make sure your grandkids can sit on your lap while you read to them, it’s always great to know it can hold the weight.
The chair is made of easy-to-clean faux leather. Although it doesn’t lay fully flat, it reclines up to 140 degrees. This is sufficient for most people to comfortably nap.
This model comes with a cup holder in each arm. The recliner swivels a full 360 degrees.
It is not a wall-hugger model. Make sure you have adequate space for it.
Some people have found it challenging to assemble. Spraying parts that stick with a lubricant may help resolve this issue.
Recommended as a great chair for the living room or den. Recommended if you are looking for both heat and massage, which can be used independently.
- Super comfortable, attractive lounger.
- Offers heat, massage and the ability to rock.
- Includes both cup holders and pockets.
- It comes in two boxes which may not be delivered on the same day.
- This oversized chair may not work well for petite individuals.
- Footrest needs to be pushed firmly into place.
3. Flash Furniture Contemporary Multi-Position Recliner – Best Office Chair With A Beach House Look
This recliner with ottoman has a natural wood base and the leather upholstery comes in four colors: Beige, black, brown and brown vintage. The style is reminiscent of vacation decor or a Euro look. The design could look equally good in a den, living room or home office.
Some of the details that help make it ergonomic:
- The footrest is a separate ottoman, which helps accommodate people of varying heights.
- It swivels on a stable base.
- It’s real leather, which works better for some people than faux leather.
The natural materials are beautiful and easy to clean. Just wipe down any spills promptly and occasionally treat the leather with oil to keep it supple for years of enjoyable use.
The seat is just 14 inches above the ground and gets rave reviews from petite individuals. If you like a low-slung chair, this may be the chair for you. However, it may be too low for a standard desk.
It can handle up to 300 pounds and also boasts excellent low back support. It does not recline flat, but reclines far enough to support the occasional nap.
Recommended for anyone looking for a low slung, attractive and comfortable chair.
- Made of real leather with a mahogany wood base.
- All necessary tools are included.
- Offers excellent low back support.
- May sit too low to the ground to use with a desk.
- May not be a long term investment.
- No cup holders, no heat, no massage.
4. Fjords Mustang Large Leather Recliner Chair and Ottoman – Best Color Selection
This attractive chair gives you the widest range of color combinations. It mixes three leather upholstery colors with four wood tones for a total of twelve options. If you are trying to match a color scheme or get a particular visual effect, this may be the chair for you.
Leather Upholstery Colors
- Cherry Wood.
- Espresso Wood.
- Teak Wood.
- Walnut Wood.
The chair offers both a small and large size to help you get the fit you need. It also has a unique integrated mechanism for excellent neck support.
It’s made or beautiful real leather and real wood. It is easy to wipe down and keep clean.
The price is somewhat steep. For some people, this will be a deal-breaker.
Recommended if you are looking for a very comfortable, beautiful chair and price is no object.
- No assembly required. It arrives fully assembled.
- Made of real leather. If you are looking for real leather, this is it.
- The manual chair that can be placed anywhere, no electric outlet required.
- There are no cup holders.
- It does not offer heat or massage options.
5. SUNCOO Massage Recliner Bonded Leather Chair – Best Chair For People With A Long Torso
Maybe you are just generally tall maybe you have short legs and a long torso. But if you have struggled to find a chair where you can get the headrest up high enough, this may be the chair for you.
The chair comes with a single pouch on the right side to contain the controller for the massage feature. In addition to massage, it provides built-in heat and two cup holders.
It swivels 360 degrees on a stable base. It also offers the option of a gentle rocking motion for self-soothing.
Recommended for someone on the tall side looking for a good headrest option. Not recommended as an office chair.
- Offers heat, massage and cup holders.
- Features an unusual extending headrest, making it perfect for taller people.
- Some assembly required.
- There is only one side pocket, so built-in storage is limited.
- It only comes in brown. There are no other options.
There are no universally perfect ergonomic chairs. An ergonomic chair needs to be custom-fit to two things:
- Your body.
- The intended use.
Here are some things to consider when trying to pick an ergonomic chair.
Chairs that can be adjusted are more likely to be ergonomic. Once in a while, you get very lucky and find the perfect chair for you, but usually, you need to tweak things a bit.
A chair that has features that can be adjusted makes it more likely that you will actually achieve a comfortable fit. Look for features like adjustable seat height, a separate ottoman instead of a built-in footrest, a built-in footrest that offers multiple positions separate from the chair positions, an adjustable headrest and the ability to swivel.
One of the potential problems with highly adjustable chair stability. The chair needs to be adjustable, but you also need to be able to firmly lock things in the desired position. You also want to be confident that it won’t tip over.
A chair that isn’t stable can cause more harm than good. Falls can cause serious injuries and chairs that won’t keep the shape you intended aren’t doing their job.
Properly Sized For Your Needs
Even with a highly adjustable chair, there are limits to how much you can custom fit a chair to your body if it is way too big or way too small to begin with. Especially if you are shorter than average or taller than average, this can be a real pain point. So make sure to double-check that it’s roughly the right size for you before you purchase it.
Extra amenities can take a chair from being so-so to being your favorite. Here are a few to consider:
- Do you need a place to put a drink? Maybe you should get a chair with built-in cup holders.
- Do you need storage for various small items? Then look for build-in pockets.
- Do you suffer low back pain, muscle soreness or other minor ailments? Then features like heat and/or massage may be just the ticket.
Our Best Choice
Our favorite is number 1. Faux Leather Electric Massage Recliner Couch Chair. It’s the best office style chair from this list. Although you always want to be comfortable, you especially need good physical support to protect your health and welfare while being productive.
James is a professional in furniture sphere. He has 5 years of experience in working with all types of recliners. And now he shares his knowledge with people, who don’t have time for research and who want to make the right choice for the future piece of furniture.
- Best Ergonomic Recliners
- 1. Faux Leather Electric Massage Recliner Couch Chair – Best Comfy Office Chair
- 2. Esright Massage Recliner PU Leather Ergonomic Lounge Heated Chair – Best Ergonomic Lounger
- 3. Flash Furniture Contemporary Multi-Position Recliner – Best Office Chair With A Beach House Look
- 4. Fjords Mustang Large Leather Recliner Chair and Ottoman – Best Color Selection
- 5. SUNCOO Massage Recliner Bonded Leather Chair – Best Chair For People With A Long Torso
- Buyer’s Guide
- Our Best Choice