Is your office chair making too much noise with its cylinder? It turns out there are a few ways you can go about fixing this problem. First, you should check your chair’s instructions for how to remove the cylinder. You may be able just to unscrew it and replace it if need be.
All you need to remove the office chair cylinder is to remove the seat and place a small screwdriver in the slot on the cylinder. Gently twist the screwdriver to push it out of its hole on one side. Then remove it from its spot on the other side by turning it again.
Now you should pull off the cylinder with your fingers or use a flathead screwdriver to do so from either side. If it doesn’t help, just follow the instructions below to learn how to remove the office chair cylinder properly.
Things And Tools You May Need
Before starting to repair your chair, take a look at the list of things and tools you may need:
- Small hammer
- New hydraulic cylinder
How To Remove Office Chair Cylinder: Step-By-Step Guide
Perhaps you’re looking for a change in the office chair that you’ve had for many years, or maybe it’s just time to have a backup desk chair on hand? No matter what brings you here, we can help with our guide on how to replace your office chair cylinder! It should only take about an hour from start to finish. All you’ll need is a few tools and some common sense. Here’s a guide you may follow.
Removing The Seat
- Remove the four screws securing them in place, and put them safely to avoid losing them.
- Remove lower guide rails from the chair frame by unscrewing two screws at each end on both sides of the seat.
- Lift the seat, and remove using your hands, pulling down all around at once.
The seat is now removed from the office chair and can be set aside for replacement later.
Removing The Cylinder
- Get a bowl. Sit on the chair and place one hand under the seat and the other under the back of your chair.
- You will find a hexagonal nut at each end of the cylinder (2 nuts total), unscrew them using a wrench.
- Holding firmly onto both nuts, pull down and out on each side of your chair until you feel the cylinder come loose.
- Remove both nuts from the cylinder and place them in a bowl. You may need to use pliers to remove them if they are stuck.
- Remove the old cylinder from the office chair using your hands. Put it in the bowl with the nuts you removed earlier.
- Using pipe tape, wrap the cylinder and nuts securely from the bowl to the chair.
- Place both nuts in your toolkit box for safekeeping. Do not lose them!
Installing The New Cylinder
- Get a bowl and wrap pipe tape around the cylinder and nuts in a bowl (immediately after removing from a chair), securing it in place on the chair frame.
- Pour engine oil all over the cylinder using a rag, then carefully seat it back into the old seat cylinder housing holes.
- Holding firmly onto both sides of the chair frame where cylinders were removed, secure two hexagonal nuts back onto the old seat cylinder with new nuts you removed earlier.
- Ensure engine oil is covering the cylinder and housing before securing nuts tightly in place.
- Holding seat from under, screw in 4 screws that secure the top of the seat to the chair frame.
The seat is now reattached to your office chair and ready to use.
Things To Consider While Choosing A New Office Chair Cylinder
Choosing a new office chair cylinder can be daunting, which is why we’re going to help you out. Below you can find the main things to consider while shopping for this office necessity.
If you want the best buy in an office chair cylinder, don’t invest in low quality! While the price of your chair may be a consideration when looking at it, there’s no point in getting something that’s going to wear down in just a few months.
Make sure that the chair cylinder size fits your chair before buying one. You also need to ensure your office chair cylinder is of excellent quality and will last! Follow these tips to be sure that you have one that stands up to daily use.
How Do You Remove A Stuck Piston From An Office Chair?
If you or someone you know is currently dealing with a stuck piston in an office chair, then they’ll be happy to see that it’s fixable. The process is very straightforward and doesn’t involve anything too complicated, so it’s easy to get started. One should do it if they’re trying to remove a stuck piston from an office chair to get some kind of lubricant. This can be anything from soap and water, WD-40, or even just oil.
How Do You Remove A Cylinder From Aeron Chair?
You can try a few different methods and stick with what works best for you! You could use hot water or warm water (never boiling!) and soap to loosen any trapped dirt and grime. You might also want to use something like an old toothbrush or scrubber to sweep away the debris from inside the tube gently. Last but not least, you could spray WD-40 inside the tube to release any stuck pieces of fabric from the sidewall of your cylinder.
Are Office Chair Cylinders Universal?
Office chair cylinders are usually universal, so almost all office chairs take the same size cylinder. Anyway, before replacing and repairing, you should measure both cylinders.
James is a professional in furniture sphere. He has 5 years of experience in working with all types of recliners. And now he shares his knowledge with people, who don’t have time for research and who want to make the right choice for the future piece of furniture.
- Things And Tools You May Need
- How To Remove Office Chair Cylinder: Step-By-Step Guide
- Things To Consider While Choosing A New Office Chair Cylinder