A chair purchased for use in a nursery is usually chosen at least in part for purposes of feeding the baby. Whether you breastfeed or bottle-feed, there will be similar concerns when choosing a chair.
A nursery room chair can be a surprisingly complicated purchasing decision. It needs to work very well for a short period of time for a specific purpose, then work well when repurposed once that need has ended.
Here are some chairs to consider and a guide to how to make the best choice for your nursery.
Best Nursery Recliners: Reviews
1. DaVinci Olive Upholstered Swivel Glider with Bonus Ottoman, Grey with Cream Piping – Best Overall Nursery Room Chair
One of the great things about this chair is that it has been extensively tested for chemicals to ensure purity and no flame retardants are used in the manufacture of this product. This helps protect the delicate health of your newborn by improving air quality.
Unlike most chairs ordered online and shipped to your home, there is no assembly required. Just pull it out of the box and set up is complete. With a baby on the way, this is one less headache for you to worry about.
The chair swivels a full 360 degrees and offers a gentle gliding motion in place of rocking so you can soothe your baby back to sleep. Gliding chairs are somewhat safer than rockers when dealing with a newborn or active older infant.
The separate ottoman allows you to put your feet up or use it as a handy occasional table. It can be the perfect spot to lay bottles and sundry accessories while getting ready to feed the baby.
The chair comes with a pillow specially designed to provide lumbar support. Low back support is especially important for pregnant women and new moms. The listed maximum weight is 300 pounds.
Comfort and practicality should come first when choosing a nursery chair, but that doesn’t mean it can’t also look good. This chair has a great tailored look and comes in five color options to help you match your decor: Cream, Dark Gray, Dark Gray with Cream Piping, Gray with Cream Piping and Navy with Gray Piping.
The chair is compactly built with no extended headrest. This is space-saving but means that very tall people may find it is a little smaller than they would like or may want to add a pillow for neck support.
It is not stain or spill resistant. Spills will need to be tended to quickly. Alternately, consider getting a washable, removable cover for the chair.
Recommended for anyone in need of a good nursery chair.
- The chair protects your baby’s health by being chemical-free.
- It comes fully assembled, a huge bonus when pregnant or dealing with a newborn.
- It has thoughtful details that improve comfort, such as a lumbar support pillow.
- It is not stain resistant. You will need to take precautions.
- Slightly on the small side.
2. Forever Eclectic by Child Craft Cozy Glider and Ottoman, Matte White with Light Gray Cushion – Best Low Upholstery Glider
Both the glider and ottoman have a wooden base. This limits the amount of upholstery material involved in the chair, helping to make it hypo-allergic and easy to keep clean.
The listed weight capacity is 250 pounds, yet the chair is lightweight and easy to move around.
The upside to such a design is there are limited opportunities for spills to sink in, for off-gassing of the material and other issues that can negatively impact health. The downside is that it is less cushy than a more traditional chair.
It is not washable, however, the arm covers can be removed for ease of cleaning. Otherwise, spot clean only.
It is a glider model with a separate ottoman. These details are good details for a nursery room chair. You can put our feet up to ease back pain, you can use the ottoman as a staging area for supplies and gliders are typically somewhat safer around newborns and active older infants trying to learn to walk.
It has storage pockets to help you keep important items conveniently at hand without being in the way. With a little planning, this can make a big difference in your ability to feed the baby without interruption.
It has a great beach house feel to the design that can help invoke a relaxing vacation home atmosphere. It comes in your choice of four color choices: Cool Gray, Dapper Gray, Dusty Heather and Matte White.
Recommended if you have a small space, allergies that benefit from limiting upholstery in your home or you just like the great beach house vibe of the piece.
- Minimal assembly required and all necessary tools are included.
- Limited upholstery helps make it hypoallergenic.
- Lightweight and compact design make it space-efficient and easy to move around.
- It is not washable. You may want to buy a washable cover for it.
- Some assembly required.
- It has a firm seat that some people wish were cushier.
3. Baby Relax Mikayla Swivel Gliding Recliner, Gray Microfiber – Best Traditional Recliner
If you would prefer a design aesthetic more in line with regular living room furniture, this recliner may be the chair for you. It has a terrific conservative look and comes in your choice of Beige, Gray Linen, Gray Microfiber or Mocha Microfiber.
If you prefer a recliner with a built-in footrest instead of a separate ottoman, that might be another reason to choose this chair. It’s a manual recliner, so there is no need to worry about where to store a remote control or where the electrical outlets are located. It can go anywhere you want it.
It has more substantial armrests than some of the more compact designs featured here. This can be an important detail when feeding a baby at all hours of the day and night. If good armrests are a top priority on your list, this may be the best chair for your needs.
The chair swivels and provides a gentle gliding motion for soothing the baby. For a nursery, gliders are generally recommended over rockers for purposes of safety.
The upholstery is easy to clean, but not spill-resistant. You may want to get a removable, washable cover for it.
The chair is fairly large and works well for taller individuals. The listed weight capacity is 225 pounds.
Recommended for the arm support it offers. Recommended for a more standard living room look.
- The generously sized chair works well for taller individuals.
- This manual recliner can go anywhere in the room.
- It swivels and glides.
- It may not have the best durability long term.
- You may want to buy a washable cover for ease of cleaning.
4. Giantex Upholstered Rocking Chair, Modern High Back Armchair, Comfortable Rocker Fabric Padded Seat Wood Base, Rocking Chair for Nursery (Gray) – Best Nursery Rocker
If you really want a rocking chair instead of a glider in the nursery, this chair is an excellent option. Its clean design has no moving parts to catch little fingers and the runners do not stick out fore and aft to trap little toes.
The clean, modern style also gives this chair longevity to be moved elsewhere in the house when the baby no longer needs to be regularly nursed or bottle-fed in the nursery. It comes in a neutral beige color that works well with many color schemes.
It’s listed weight capacity is 250 pounds. Because of the wooden base, it is a low upholstery design, making it friendly for people who need hypo-allergic furnishings. Yet, it has adequate cushioning to keep your comfortable for long periods spent sitting in the nursery, tending to the baby.
Listed weight capacity is 330 pounds. It provides excellent back support and good arm support for comfort while feeding the baby for long periods. Yet, it is lightweight and easy to move.
Recommended if you want a rocker in your nursery instead of a glider.
- A safe rocker with no moving parts to pinch little fingers.
- Easy to assemble and may fit up narrow stairs before assembly.
- Terrific clean look.
- There is no ottoman or footrest.
- Some assembly required.
- It does not swivel.
5. Quelife Convertible Sofa Bed Folding Arm Chair Sleeper, Single Sleeper Convertible Chair Folding Sleeper-Coffee – Best Chair With Lounge and Sleeper Options
This cleverly design chair gives you the option to convert it to a lounge chair or cot. This can be a great option for a variety of situations, such as using the nursery as an occasional guest room, sleeping in the nursery when the baby is sick or providing additional leg support if mom needs more than just a footrest.
The foundation of the design is a high-quality metal frame for sturdiness. When in bed mode, it will support a weight of 440 pounds. In chair mode, it supports up to 330 pounds.
The outer cover is removable for ease of cleaning. It comes with a pillow included.
Recommended if you need a sleeper or lounge chair option.
- Converts to a lounge chair or sleeper.
- Pillow included.
- Cover can be removed for cleaning.
- Some assembly required.
- The arms are not well-cushioned.
- The chair does not rock, glide or swivel.
Comfort Should Be Your First Priority
In the first few months, the person most likely to consistently feed the baby is a mom. Mom will also be recovering from having been pregnant and given birth. On top of that, newborns are very demanding, so parents of newborns are frequently short of sleep.
It’s fairly common for people to choose furniture based primarily on style. For a nursery chair, it’s best to make sure it is practical and comfortable first and foremost.
Ease Of Use
Some details that can help make a chair practical and comfortable include:
- Padded armrests.
- A footrest.
- Material that is stain-resistant and easy to clean.
Feeding a baby involves holding the baby for long periods. Comfortable armrests can make a big difference in your ability to do so comfortably for as long as necessary to complete the feeding.
A good footrest can help reduce lower back strain. It can also help take circulation pressure off the legs.
Babies can be messy and have underdeveloped immune systems. So it’s important to choose a chair that makes it easy to clean if only to protect the health of your baby.
Babies typically start eating some solid food within a few months, so you should wonder what the future of this chair will be like. How will it fit into your home after it is no longer needed for its immediate intended purpose.
Other Lifestyle Factors
Do you expect to have a preemie or child with special needs? Or do you need the nursery to double as a guest room at times? How much space do you have?
Such details can strongly influence your choice of chair. A best practice is to make a list of all factors, then assign values such as “must-have” and “nice to have.”
Our Best Choice
Our favorite is number 1. DaVinci Olive Upholstered Swivel Glider with Bonus Ottoman, Grey with Cream Piping. If you just need a solid chair that works well for feeding the baby and there are no additional issues to address, this is a terrific chair.
James is a professional in furniture sphere. He has 5 years of experience in working with all types of recliners. And now he shares his knowledge with people, who don’t have time for research and who want to make the right choice for the future piece of furniture.
- Best Nursery Recliners: Reviews
- 1. DaVinci Olive Upholstered Swivel Glider with Bonus Ottoman, Grey with Cream Piping – Best Overall Nursery Room Chair
- 2. Forever Eclectic by Child Craft Cozy Glider and Ottoman, Matte White with Light Gray Cushion – Best Low Upholstery Glider
- 3. Baby Relax Mikayla Swivel Gliding Recliner, Gray Microfiber – Best Traditional Recliner
- 4. Giantex Upholstered Rocking Chair, Modern High Back Armchair, Comfortable Rocker Fabric Padded Seat Wood Base, Rocking Chair for Nursery (Gray) – Best Nursery Rocker
- 5. Quelife Convertible Sofa Bed Folding Arm Chair Sleeper, Single Sleeper Convertible Chair Folding Sleeper-Coffee – Best Chair With Lounge and Sleeper Options
- Buyer’s Guide
- Our Best Choice